I figured that Doc Martens would be the perfect Fashion Challenge to complement the return of ’90s grunge to the fashion scene. Dr. Martens celebrated their 50th birthday on April 1st, so it’s no wonder that their classic boots have become a staple for numerous fashion icons. Agyness Deyn is often spotted in the classics, and you’ve probably seen the controversial Doc Marten ads featuring Kurt Cobain and Sid Vicious, among others. Although you often see Doc Martens paired with grunge-esque floral dresses, they work easily with a variety of other styles. So, will you take this week’s Fashion Challenge?
Tips and Tricks for Wearing Doc Martens
As far as advice goes, I don’t have much. That’s because Dr. Martens were meant to break fashion rules! Don’t worry about what you think is “fashionable” or “in style”, just rock these boots with confidence and you are set! That said, here are a few pointers:
- Don’t be afraid to step (pun intended!) outside the box. Doc Martens come in a variety of styles, so don’t be afraid to try something other than the basic 8 or 10-eye styles. I think these floral ones would be perfect with a LWD for summer.
- Mix it up. Don’t think you have to imitate Claire Dane in My So Called Life to pull these off. Dr. Martens work just as well with a classic striped shirt and basic skirt like Rachel Marie’s below:
- Pull on and go. These boots go with everything: tights, skinnies, dresses, and even shorts. Don’t be afraid to experiment! Throw them on with one of your favorite outfits for an unexpected twist.
Get the Look
Product Information: Patent pink Doc Martens – Dr. Martens, Tank top – Steven Alan, Lace crop top – Wet Seal, Black jeggings – Dorothy Perkins, Feather headband – Accessorize.com, Cross-body bag – Urban Outfitters, Necklace – Forever 21
The inspiration for this outfit came from all the amazing outfit shots from Coachella. Doc Martens are the perfect shoes for a music festival, because they prevent your toes from getting trampled in the crowd. I kept things casual with denim leggings and a cool tank top. The tank top reveals your entire side, so I added a crop top for just a peek of lace and texture. A feathered headband worn Nicole Richie-style gives this look the hippie-chic look that’s so popular right now. A simple cross-body bag finishes the look.
Extra Credit Reading
Want more information on these iconic boots and how to wear them? Check these out:
- This post from Polyvore was written in 2008, but the outfit inspirations are to die for!
- According to WWD, a certain celebrity bought Dr. Martens as favors for his daughter’s birthday party. If you aren’t a WWD subscriber, you can find out who here.
- For more info on Dr. Martens’ history and their 50th birthday, read this article from The Fashion Feed.
- Women aren’t the only ones rocking this classic boot.
So, will you take the Fashion Challenge?
Do you already own a pair of Docs? Do you prefer a grunge-girl look or do you rock your Docs with a different style? Did any of you witness Coachella style first hand (I’m jealous!)? Already work this trend? Send us pictures of you in your Dr. Martens and we’ll feature them here!* As always, we are open to suggestions for future fashion challenges and we’d love to hear from you!
* Send your outfit pictures to fashionchallenge AT collegefashion DOT net!