My name is Zephyr, and I’m a 25-year-old college grad living in Boston, MA. I am a fan of fearless style, pretty things, unnatural hair colors, vegetarians, self deprecation, constant optimism, liquid liner, Sour Patch Kids, my two sisters, my wonderful adopted cat, and Lloyd Dobler.
I created College Fashion in March of 2007 because I loved reading fashion blogs but couldn’t find any that were aimed specifically at college students. All my favorite fashion sites and magazines catered either to middle-aged women or 16-year-olds in high school. I started this website to fill that need. It began as a fun hobby but it’s grown into a full time job and then some!
Now that I’ve graduated, I work on College Fashion full time. For the first time in my life I can honestly say I love my job: Though running CF is a lot of work, I get to be creative every day and connect with amazing readers around the world. To me, it doesn’t get much better than that.
Of course I don’t claim to be the authority on all things fashion – I’m just a huge fan of style who is constantly observing and taking it all in. I’m not interested in promoting fashion elitism, consumerism, or any other ism. I believe that you can wear anything (I do mean anything) and pull it off when you have confidence. I also believe that style should be accessible to everyone – status and brand names should have nothing to do with it.
If you want to contact me, my email is zephyr AT collegefashion.net, or you can use this contact form.
5 Fun Facts About Me
- I'm an obsessive perfectionist Virgo who only believes in astrology when it applies to me.
- I love pretentious, arty movies, but I like to think admitting they’re pretentious makes them less so.
- I grew up in a small town on Cape Cod, MA.
- I graduated from UMass Amherst with a Bachelor of Business Administration in marketing.
- Editing College Fashion is my only job and I couldn’t be happier about that.
- Financial Times: Bloggers on fashion's front row, October 2012
- People Stylewatch: The Most Gorgeous Gowns of the Year - My Top 5 Gowns!, September 2012
- People Magazine: Chose "Under 25" winner for People's Ten Best Dressed of 2012, September 2012
- The New York Times: A Sly Wink to Pinups of the Past, May 2012
- The New York Times: On Campus, Taking Fashion Seriously, October 2011
- Refinery29: 5 Cool Campus Basics from a College Style Expert, September 2011
- Independent Fashion Bloggers: Professional Blogger Spotlight: College Fashion, April 2011
- Daily Trojan: Entrepreneurship Isn't Just for Grads, October 2010
- MediaBistro: How to Take Advantage of College: Start a Business, September 2010
- PBS MediaShift: How College Students Became Mini-Media Moguls in School, September 2010
- Humber Etc.: From runway to Humber halls, September 2010
- WalletPop: From Anapata to Zuckerberg: 10 college whiz kids & their successful start-ups, August 2010
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: What to pack for college and what to leave behind, August 2010
- CNN: The New Generation of Entrepreneurs, August 2010
- BeautifulStranger.TV: Zephyr Basine - Street Snaps, June 2010
- CovertCandy: Featured Blog and Question & Answer: College Fashion, May 2010
- WalletPop: Zephyr Basine's 'College Fashion' blog goes to head of the class -- with style, April 2010
- I Heart Daily: Style Blogger: Zephyr Basine of College Fashion, April 2010
- College Media Matters: In the Spotlight: College Fashion Founder Zephyr Basine, January 2010
- *eLLa iNsPiReD*: Ladies of the Blogisphere - Zephyr Basine, January 2010
All posts by Zephyr
By now you all know that a massive tornado hit Oklahoma City this week, killing at least 24 people and wounding more than 200. ABC News has a great roundup of ways you can help the victims. (Or, if you don’t want to click over, just text REDCROSS to 90999 to give $10.) Every dollar [...]
Editor’s note: The following post links to our friends at CollegeCandy. Before clicking over, know that some readers found CC’s content/ads to be non-work-safe – just a heads up if you’re at the office or around parents! Photo Credit With graduations happening across the country, college students everywhere are donning their caps and gowns and [...]
I Tried Gwyneth Paltrow’s Diet, from The Cut. I have to say, this was the funniest thing I read all week. This is long but worth the read: The Luxe Life in Gatsby, The Bling Ring, and Other Films (and what it all says about our culture). And for those of you procrastinating studying for [...]
Editor’s note: The following post links to our friends at CollegeCandy. Before clicking over, know that some readers found CC’s content/ads to be non-work-safe – just a heads up if you’re at the office or around parents! Photo Credit It’s Saturday, which means it’s prime time for relaxing, catching up on some studying, and, if [...]