My name is Zephyr, and I’m a 26-year-old college grad living in Boston, MA. I am a fan of fearless style, pretty things, unnatural hair colors, vegetarians, self deprecation, constant optimism, liquid liner, Sour Patch Kids, my two sisters, my wonderful adopted cat, and Lloyd Dobler.
I created College Fashion in March of 2007 because I loved reading fashion blogs but couldn’t find any that were aimed specifically at college students. All my favorite fashion sites and magazines catered either to middle-aged women or 16-year-olds in high school. I started this website to fill that need. It began as a fun hobby but it’s grown into a full time job and then some!
Now that I’ve graduated, I work on College Fashion full time. For the first time in my life I can honestly say I love my job: Though running CF is a lot of work, I get to be creative every day and connect with amazing readers around the world. To me, it doesn’t get much better than that.
Of course I don’t claim to be the authority on all things fashion – I’m just a huge fan of style who is constantly observing and taking it all in. I’m not interested in promoting fashion elitism, consumerism, or any other ism. I believe that you can wear anything (I do mean anything) and pull it off when you have confidence. I also believe that style should be accessible to everyone – status and brand names should have nothing to do with it.
If you want to contact me, my email is zephyr AT collegefashion.net, or you can use this contact form.
5 Fun Facts About Me
- I'm an obsessive perfectionist Virgo who only believes in astrology when it applies to me.
- I love pretentious, arty movies, but I like to think admitting they’re pretentious makes them less so.
- I grew up in a small town on Cape Cod, MA.
- I graduated from UMass Amherst with a Bachelor of Business Administration in marketing.
- Editing College Fashion is my only job and I couldn’t be happier about that.
- Happier.co.uk: 12 Dynamic Pieces of Advice from Top Financial Bloggers, July 2013
- Financial Times: Bloggers on fashion's front row, October 2012
- People Stylewatch: The Most Gorgeous Gowns of the Year - My Top 5 Gowns!, September 2012
- People Magazine: Chose "Under 25" winner for People's Ten Best Dressed of 2012, September 2012
- The New York Times: A Sly Wink to Pinups of the Past, May 2012
- The New York Times: On Campus, Taking Fashion Seriously, October 2011
- Refinery29: 5 Cool Campus Basics from a College Style Expert, September 2011
- Independent Fashion Bloggers: Professional Blogger Spotlight: College Fashion, April 2011
- Daily Trojan: Entrepreneurship Isn't Just for Grads, October 2010
- MediaBistro: How to Take Advantage of College: Start a Business, September 2010
- PBS MediaShift: How College Students Became Mini-Media Moguls in School, September 2010
- Humber Etc.: From runway to Humber halls, September 2010
- WalletPop: From Anapata to Zuckerberg: 10 college whiz kids & their successful start-ups, August 2010
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: What to pack for college and what to leave behind, August 2010
- CNN: The New Generation of Entrepreneurs, August 2010
- BeautifulStranger.TV: Zephyr Basine - Street Snaps, June 2010
- CovertCandy: Featured Blog and Question & Answer: College Fashion, May 2010
- WalletPop: Zephyr Basine's 'College Fashion' blog goes to head of the class -- with style, April 2010
- I Heart Daily: Style Blogger: Zephyr Basine of College Fashion, April 2010
- College Media Matters: In the Spotlight: College Fashion Founder Zephyr Basine, January 2010
- *eLLa iNsPiReD*: Ladies of the Blogisphere - Zephyr Basine, January 2010
All posts by Zephyr
Editor’s note: The following post links to our friends at CollegeCandy. Before clicking over, know that some readers found CC’s content/ads to be non-work-safe – just a heads up if you’re at the office or around parents! Photo Credit Unless you’ve been living under a rock lately, you’ve probably seen those long Buzzfeed posts on […]
The Evolution of the College Library, from The Atlantic. NY Mag interviewed costume designer Trish Summerville about her work on Catching Fire. Buzzfeed has a great roundup of DIY gift ideas you won’t be embarrassed to give to your friends. Wow, powerful stuff: 3 Minutes That Show How the Media Failed Women in 2013. What […]
Editor’s note: The following post links to our friends at CollegeCandy. Before clicking over, know that some readers found CC’s content/ads to be non-work-safe – just a heads up if you’re at the office or around parents! Photo Credit The first few days of Thanksgiving break are wonderful – reunions with hometown friends, family dinners, […]
It’s a special Thanksgiving edition of Hautelinks this week, and in keeping with the holiday, I’d like to take a minute to thank all of you for reading and supporting our little website. It may sound cheesy, but our readers really mean the world to us. We’re so, so thankful for each and every one […]