It's wedding season! Time to get out your party dress, pack some tissues, and celebrate love with friends and family. As a wedding guest, you want to look chic (you wouldn't be reading CF if you didn't!) but you never want to steal the bride's spotlight.
Here are some budget-friendly summer wedding outfits that will have you looking great as you tear up at the ceremony, dance at the reception, or catch the bouquet!
Tips for Classy Wedding Wear
- Steer clear of white! It's a wedding faux pas to wear the same color as the bride. It's her day, so let her be the only gal rocking a white dress.
- Look grandparent-appropriate. (Read: weddings aren't the time for plunging necklines, "Hello there!" cleavage, and oodles of bare skin.) Many weddings are religious ceremonies, so you want to wear something that's a touch more conservative and respectful than maybe what you're used to. If the ceremony is in a conservative place of worship, you may want to bring a shawl or cardigan along.
- Don't be afraid of color! Bright colors and romantic florals are perfect for summer weddings.
- If you think you'll be one of the girls dancing with her heels off later, just wear flats! Cute flats and sandals can be just as dressy as heels.
- Pack a small purse or clutch with only the essentials. Consider leaving your cell and camera in the car. Camera flashes can be very distracting (especially during the ceremony — the couple will have a photographer to capture the memories) and you shouldn't need to text or call anyone.
- Above all, you want to look classy. Save the skin-tight and booty-grazing frocks for the club.
- Some weddings are very casual and people show up in jeans and t-shirts. Out of respect for the affair, I suggest not being one of those people. Who cares if you're the most dressed up guest in the crowd? You'll stand out in a good way and look elegant.
Outfit #1: Flirty Floral
This look is a standard outfit for any summer wedding: a combination of a floral sundress, heeled sandals, and sweet accessories. The nude heels will elongate your legs and won't compete with the patterned frock, while the dainty "Love" necklace and glittery cocktail ring add touches of glam and romance.
Outfit #2: Black-Tie Beautiful
Some weddings call for black-tie attire and you'll need to zip into something more formal than your average party dress. This is a fun opportunity to get glamorous! You'll look like an old Hollywood bombshell in this Zac Posen for Target dress, paired with glittery accessories.
Outfit #3: Sweet & Summery
Unlike a black-tie affair, some weddings are much more laid-back and casual. If you're attending a beach ceremony or backyard bash, swap out heels for comfortable flats and don a sweet and summery party dress like the Lulu*s frock in this outfit. The shell pendant plays off the beach locale and the neutral clutch lets your colorful dress stand out.
Outfit #4: Edgy Retro
This retro-inspired look is a cute compromise for the lady that's not a floral-and-pastels girly girl. The pink patterned dress is definitely feminine, but the black brushstroke pattern is more modern and edgy than your usual floral print. The sweet studs play off the dress' vintage cut and the spiked stilettos add a sexy and fierce finish to the ensemble.
What do you think?
Which of these dresses do you like best? Are you attending any upcoming weddings? Have you already rocked some adorable frocks at a wedding this summer?Leave a comment with your opinion on this post or share your own experiences with dressing up for weddings. I'd love to hear from you!