Following my post on fashion inspired by the new ABC Family show Pretty Little Liars, many CF readers called for a series of posts focused on each character’s style in more detail — your requests have been answered! Each week, I’ll do a new article featuring one of the four lead characters — Emily, Aria, Hanna and Spencer — and detail how you can achieve the girl’s look. I’m kicking off the series with Emily…
(Please note this series is not about the books but the TV show! I’ve heard the two differ and I don’t want to upset any loyalists to the book series!)
Who is Emily Fields?
Emily is arguably the most mysterious of the four leading ladies — if the last episodes were any indication, there’s a lot of angst and baggage lurking beneath her quiet, good-girl surface.
Raised in a military family, Emily is the ideal daughter: a sweet and obedient girl-next-door type with good grades and athletic talent. But her strict upbringing stifles her personal growth — fear of her parents disapproval and community backlash makes it difficult for her to explore her sexual orientation and be honest with her friends.
Though Emily may be the one harboring the most secrets and uncertainties, her style is the least complex: Of all the Pretty Little Liars, Emily’s aesthetic is the most pared down and accessible.
How to Dress Like Emily
Emily prefers simple clothes, but her style is anything but boring. Classic silhouettes and clean lines matched with bright colors and layering keeps her tomboy look fresh and lively. Closet staples like denim minis, chino shorts, distressed jeans, hoodies and t-shirts are the foundation of her wardrobe, but she sports them in exuberant hues with dainty accessories to keep the sporty look feminine.
- Think comfortable and active. Emily’s clothes are casual and reflect her active lifestyle — athletic-inspired minis, cargo pants, sweatshirts — but her clothes always have a unique touch to make them feel modern, particularly the use of eye-catching color. To channel Emily, choose items that are classic with a twist.
- Mind your proportions. Emily wears slouchy off-the-shoulder sweatshirts and boyfriend-esque cardigans, but the proportions of her outfits are always balanced and flattering. Be mindful of your ensemble’s proportions so you don’t look frumpy. Wear a loose-fitting tee with a slim mini or skinny jeans, or layer a tight v-neck or tank under your oversized cardy.
- Pare down the jewelry. Emily is not the girl on the show sporting a shoulder-grazing feather earring. (Can you guess who that was?) Her jewelry is often dainty and simple, yet feminine: simple silver hoops or a few thin, layered necklaces are more her taste.
- Pick sporty shoes and accessories. Emily almost always wears stylish sneakers and carries utilitarian-inspired bags like her everyday cargo tote.
- Stay fresh-faced and relaxed. Emily is gorgeous but she doesn’t wear a lot of make-up. To get her look, let your natural beauty shine through by forgoing the caked-on layers. Brush on some bronzer for a healthy glow and add a pop of blush on the apples of your cheeks for a natural flush. Let your hair flow down or put it up in a pony — Emily switches between the two easy hairstyles.
Outfits for Inspiration
Product Info: Shirt – ModCloth, Cami – Aeropostale, Cropped Pant – American Eagle , Tote – Gap, Earrings – Overstock, Sneakers – Converse
Product Info: Camisole – Aeropostale, Shirt – Gap, Skirt – American Eagle, Bag – Urban Outfitters, Necklace – Forever 21, Bracelet – Aeropostale, Shoes – Vans
Product Info: Tank – American Eagle, Cardigan – J Crew, Cropped Jeans – Abercrombie and Fitch, Sneakers – Puma, Messenger Bag – Urban Outfitters
What do you think?
Do you like Emily’s sporty style? Which of the Pretty Little Liars characters do you find most stylish? Whose closet do you most want to raid? Please leave a comment!
32 thoughts on “How to Dress Like the Pretty Little Liars: Emily”
I love her style even though personally it’s just too simple for me. However, I think you absolutely nailed it. I can easily picture her in these in all these outfits. Thanks!
the feather was aria!
Probably my least favorite liar, but gorgeous actress & great article!
I luv the gorgeous clothes u have picked to describe emily
I luv the gorgeous fashions you have chosen to describe the beautiful Emily Fields
very well written and such a big inspiration. thanks for the good work. your tips were really helpful, thanks for these texts!
My favourite pretty little liars are Emily and Aria. I like Aria’s daring look but I also enjoy Emily’s sporty, yet feminine clothes. But I don’t get why everyone is obsessing about Spencer. In my opinion, I think she dresses like my gramma.
Spencer has a mordern vintage look btw people will take offense to that I like all the liars
Cool. Fave charechter!!!
Cool tips ,but whats about her beauty routine??
Hi everyone! I’m Ali, the author of this post.
This series was written almost A YEAR AGO. Please keep that in mind when you criticize it or leave comments. I’m sorry the information is now outdated, but there are many resources on the web for “Pretty Little Liars” fashion. One place to look is Possessionista.com.
I no longer write for College Fashion, so I don’t have control over new “Pretty Little Liars” posts. Perhaps if you request it, they might do more on the show or do an updated series.
i like the way she dress…simple and cute
Aria next, please. She’s arguabley the best dressed, the feather earring was worn by her. 😉
Wow sooo happy your doing each girl!! I LOVE Aria’s fashion sense. PLEASE do her next!
I’m such an Aria… can’t wait to see your post on her!
so glad you’re doing this! aria has my favorite style — can’t wait for hers
So glad to see this I love the show and have to wait till next season for it to begin again reading these articles will feel the void. I love all the girls style I’m always changing it up to Aria to Spencer can’t wait to see the other girls
Yay! I LOVE this show and I loved your first post! Spencer’s style is totally my favorite, it’s classic and sophisticated but still simple and cute. I can’t wait for more!