Following my post on fashion inspired by the new ABC Family show Pretty Little Liars, many CF readers called for a series of posts focused on each character's style in more detail — your requests have been answered! Each week, I'll do a new article featuring one of the four lead characters — Emily, Aria, Hanna and Spencer — and detail how you can achieve the girl's look. I'm kicking off the series with Emily...
(Please note this series is not about the books but the TV show! I've heard the two differ and I don't want to upset any loyalists to the book series!)
Who is Emily Fields?
Emily is arguably the most mysterious of the four leading ladies — if the last episodes were any indication, there's a lot of angst and baggage lurking beneath her quiet, good-girl surface.
Raised in a military family, Emily is the ideal daughter: a sweet and obedient girl-next-door type with good grades and athletic talent. But her strict upbringing stifles her personal growth — fear of her parents disapproval and community backlash makes it difficult for her to explore her sexual orientation and be honest with her friends.
Though Emily may be the one harboring the most secrets and uncertainties, her style is the least complex: Of all the Pretty Little Liars, Emily's aesthetic is the most pared down and accessible.
How to Dress Like Emily
Emily prefers simple clothes, but her style is anything but boring. Classic silhouettes and clean lines matched with bright colors and layering keeps her tomboy look fresh and lively. Closet staples like denim minis, chino shorts, distressed jeans, hoodies and t-shirts are the foundation of her wardrobe, but she sports them in exuberant hues with dainty accessories to keep the sporty look feminine.
- Think comfortable and active. Emily's clothes are casual and reflect her active lifestyle — athletic-inspired minis, cargo pants, sweatshirts — but her clothes always have a unique touch to make them feel modern, particularly the use of eye-catching color. To channel Emily, choose items that are classic with a twist.
- Mind your proportions. Emily wears slouchy off-the-shoulder sweatshirts and boyfriend-esque cardigans, but the proportions of her outfits are always balanced and flattering. Be mindful of your ensemble's proportions so you don't look frumpy. Wear a loose-fitting tee with a slim mini or skinny jeans, or layer a tight v-neck or tank under your oversized cardy.
- Pare down the jewelry. Emily is not the girl on the show sporting a shoulder-grazing feather earring. (Can you guess who that was?) Her jewelry is often dainty and simple, yet feminine: simple silver hoops or a few thin, layered necklaces are more her taste.
- Pick sporty shoes and accessories. Emily almost always wears stylish sneakers and carries utilitarian-inspired bags like her everyday cargo tote.
- Stay fresh-faced and relaxed. Emily is gorgeous but she doesn't wear a lot of make-up. To get her look, let your natural beauty shine through by forgoing the caked-on layers. Brush on some bronzer for a healthy glow and add a pop of blush on the apples of your cheeks for a natural flush. Let your hair flow down or put it up in a pony — Emily switches between the two easy hairstyles.
Outfits for Inspiration
What do you think?
Do you like Emily's sporty style? Which of the Pretty Little Liars characters do you find most stylish? Whose closet do you most want to raid? Please leave a comment!