It’s that time of year again… Can you believe that Spring Break is only a few weeks away?!
Whether you’re still deciding what to do or where to go, or you’ve had your tickets booked for months, or you’re just thoroughly looking forward to a well-deserved stay-cation, the CF team has you covered with tons of tips. Read on for our guide to a fashionable and fabulous spring break!
Spring Break Planning Tips & Strategies
- Pack light. With airlines charging a premium for baggage, packing as lightly as possible can save you big. Try to fit all of your things into a carry-on bag and pack your smaller purses into an oversized style for your “personal item.” With some careful packing, you’d be surprised how much you can stuff into your luggage! Another tip some swear by: wear your heaviest/bulkiest items on the flight to save precious cargo space!
- Comparison shop. As every college girl knows, when making a big purchase, it pays to comparison shop. When it comes to scoring travel deals, doing so couldn’t be easier! Aggregator sites like Kayak, Travel Zoo, and Booking Buddy pull ticket prices from multiple airlines together in one place, letting you choose the best flight for you. Same goes for hotels! If you’re looking to save even more, make sure to go directly to the airline website for a final price comparison. You can sometimes find additional savings by booking a non-flexible ticket or foregoing travel insurance if you go direct.
- Show some student pride! There are tons of opportunities for awesome discounts and price breaks with your student ID. Always look (and ask!) for student rates when checking into hotels or visiting major attractions. Online sites like Travelosophy, STATravel, and Student Universe offer special student discounts on flights, hotels, insurance, and transportation. If you’re going abroad for break, investing in an international student identity card from ISIC or ISE can provide even more discounts and can often be used both abroad and at home.
The Ultimate Spring Break Packing List
While your particular trip may not require each of these essentials, you can still use this guide as your personal checklist! Print it out, make your selections, and pack those bags.
1. The carry on: large duffle bag or small rolling suitcase, plus smaller, everyday bags packed inside.
2. Toiletries: Toothbrush, mini-tube of toothpaste, deodorant, mini-shampoo and conditioner, makeup.
3. Identification: Student ID, driver’s license, passport (if you’re going abroad!) and copies of each in case of emergency.
4. $$$: Cash, ATM/debit card, credit card and a cute wallet or coin purse.
5. Staying healthy: Multi-vitamin, Advil/Tylenol, EmergenC, water!
6. Snow bunnies: Ski jacket, snow pants, gloves, hat, goggles. (You can always rent the rest of your gear!)
7. Beach bunnies: cute swimsuits, sunglasses, sunblock, flip flops, beach hat.
8. Underneath it all: undies, socks, bras, sleepwear.
9. Wardrobe: mix-and-match pieces, go-to dress, cardigan/zip-up for layering, jeans, leggings, skirts/shorts, fun tops, going-out apparel.
10. Footwear: Sandals, walking shoes, flip flops, shoes for the gym.
For a more complete list of Spring Break fashion essentials, make sure to check out our post from 2010: Your Essential Spring Break Packing List!
Staying close to campus? You can still have an awesome break!
With 168-hours of free time, there are plenty of opportunities to do something fun. Look for events happening near you, treat yourself to a shopping/movie extravaganza, go on a mini-roadtrip, check out your town’s attractions, or take a long weekend at another campus!
Feeling extra fabulous? Throw a party! There’s no better way to meet other people who are sticking around for break. Make sure to check out local clubs and bars for special spring break discounts and themed events, too. No matter what you do, put in the effort to make the most of your free week!
Outfit Ideas for Spring Break Scenarios
Product Information: Tank, Madewell. Carry-On Suitcase, PB Teen. Leggings, American Apparel. Oversized Top, Piperlime. Espadrilles, dELiA*s. Bracelet, Debenhams. Backpack, Surf Stitch. Cosmetics Bag, Plush Paws.
Start your trip off in style! Since in-flight temperatures can be unpredictable, you can’t go wrong with light layers. As the climate changes, toss your unwanted layers into a backpack or oversized tote along with all of your essentials. Squeeze the rest of your things into special suitcase from PB Teen — it’s just the right size for the overhead bins, so you won’t need to check a bag.
Want more travel style? See our list of stylish & comfy travel clothes, as well as our favorite star-inspired airport outfits. And get even more celebrity inspiration here, here, and here! Though most travel features (like this one!) focus on “airport style,” the cozy-cute looks are just as applicable for road trips with the girls.
Hanging by the Pool
Product Information: Cut-Out One Piece, Shopbop. Tunic Cover Up, Topshop. Tribal Bikini, Aldo. Tie Dye Sarong & Bag, All Saints. Bazaar Sarong, 25 Park. Cut-Out Romper, Ruche. Tie Dye Bikini, Pret-A-Beaute. Crochet Detail Bikini Top, Tilly’s. Lace Shorts, Amazon. Drape One Piece, ASOS. Vintage One Piece, ModCloth. Caged Bikini Top, VPL. Betsey Bow Bikini, Amazon. Pinup Bandeau Bikini, Net-a-Porter. Neon Stripe Bikini Bottoms, Tilly’s. Ikat Monokini, Bluefly. Tribal Romper, dELiA*s.
Though not specifically an outfit per se, every CF girl needs an awesome swimsuit/cover-up combo, and these happen to be some of our favorite picks.
Whether you’ve decided splurge or are looking to stay within a shoestring budget, online boutiques and brick-and-mortar stores have this season’s swim styles front and center at this time of year! Even if your spring break plans don’t include traveling to an oceanfront destination, you can get a jump on summer’s shopping with these cute suits.
Brunch with the Girls
Product Information: Lace Mini Dress, Singer 22. Feather Stud Earrings, Pink Mascara. Golden Bow Ring, Miss Selfridge. Turquoise Clutch, Lori’s Shoes. Pom Pom Ankle Sandals, Accessorize. Single Pearl Necklace, Charm & Chain.
This simple, sunny outfit is ideal for photo-ops and perfect for sipping on mid-morning mimosas. This white dress is ultra-flattering and Spring Break-perfect – after all, white looks great with a (faux) tan! Keep it on for a day of shopping or exploring your town.
Product Information: Leather Panel Dress, ModCloth. Leopard Print Bangle, Fashion Conscience. Patent Platforms, Topshop. Double Finger Ring, Urban Outfitters. Leopard Print Pearls, Nordstrom. Lion Ring, Girl Props.
Every fabulous vacation needs at least one big night out, right? Whether you’re going to dinner or out dancing, you’ll want to pack at least one figure-hugging dress and a hot pair of shoes for the occasion. If you’re not confident in your clothing, it will show, so choose an outfit that makes you feel and look your best and you can’t go wrong.
What are you doing for break?! How long do you have off? What will you be wearing? Do you have any expert travel tips to offer? Leave a comment and let us know!