Why are storage containers so important to shop for? Dorm rooms are usually tiny – way smaller than you’d probably expect, and therefore you’re going to need to find ways to store all your stuff in order to maximize your space.
Also, if you love fashion, you’re going to need enough room to store all your clothes, shoes and accessories. Dorm room closets are usually not very large, so you need to get creative with your storage choices.
Fortunately, there are tons of great options when it comes to shopping for storage containers, and there are lots of ways to hide your stuff creatively.
A few tips to keep in mind when shopping for dorm room storage:
- Go vertical. Horizontal space is limited in a dorm room, so you are going to want to maximize every inch you have. Get tall shelves for your room that aren’t too wide, and lots of hooks for your walls.
- Raise your bed up. A great space to store stuff that you don’t use very often is under your bed. Definitely buy a set of bed risers and get some containers for under-bed storage to make the most of that space.
- Get portable storage. Take into account the weight and portability of every storage container you buy. Ideally, you want to be able to move without unpacking much stuff. If you can find durable containers with handles, it will make moving in and out of your dorm so much easier.
Here are some examples of storage furniture for your dorm:
6 Drawer Cart – $27.99
Student Lounge Organizers and Storage – $11.99
Collapsible Hamper – Pink Plaid – $14.99
Iris Set of 8 Mesh Baskets – $34.99
Now that you have an idea of what you’ll need for storage in your dorm room, be sure to check your school’s website to find out how big your room will be, and also talk to your future roommate to find out what they’re bringing. Then shop accordingly.
Check back soon for the next part in this series, where we get into the fun stuff – decorating your dorm!
Check out the rest of the posts in the College Dorm Room Shopping series to get everything you need for a fabulous dorm:
- College Dorm Room Shopping Part 1: Bedding
- College Dorm Room Shopping Part 2: Furnishings
- College Dorm Room Shopping Part 4: Decorations