With weather in the Northeast anything but wintery lately, I’m completely obsessed with cardigans. These lovely little button-down sweaters aren’t just for teachers and preppy girls anymore (though they are a preppy fashion essential) – they are stylish, cute and ultra functional.
It’s so easy to wear a cardigan, and every girl’s wardrobe needs one this season. Here’s why:
- They add color & interest to any outfit. Buy a cardigan in a bright color (we love the red trend for fall) to dress up a basic outfit. A plain black tee looks amazing with a colorful cardigan, jeans and some simple jewelry.
- Dress them up or down. Cardigans are great for throwing on for class and staying warm (they’re a staple of the academia aesthetic for a reason), but are equally awesome to wear at work, to internships, dinner with your boyfriend’s conservative parents, etc.
- You’ll be prepared for any weather. Throw a cardigan in your tote bag to protect from unexpected cold outside or even air conditioning. You’ll look cute and be comfortable no matter what!
- Wear your summer tank tops into fall. All those fabulous summer tank tops you own are good through November with a simple cardigan on top. Hello wardrobe versatility!
- The celebrity style factor. Stars like Jessica Alba, Rachel Bilson and Reese Witherspoon live in their cardigans and pair them with skinny jeans, a scarf, or even a dress and flats.
Where to Buy a Cardigan
Now that you know why you need one, here’s where to buy a cardigan.
Keep in mind that cardigans can wear out fast around the buttons, so it’s worth it to spend more on a high-quality cardigan that will last. Also, if you’re buying an ultra cheap cardigan, we recommend keeping it buttoned as much as possible to avoid showing shoddy button hole work.
- Urban Outfitters carries lots of cute and trendy cardigans in both basic and unique styles. Plus, the prices are good.
- Gap.com is a great source for all things basic, casual and classic at rock-bottom prices. They have a great cardigan selection!
- J.Crew is the classic choice. Their Tippi cardigan, while a little pricey, is the stuff of legend. You’ll have yours FOREVER.
- Nordstrom also stocks high-quality cardigans in tons of prints, lengths, and styles.
- Forever 21 carries some good options; just don’t expect them to last too long and be sure to inspect the button holes to make sure they’re well-made.
- H&M is another great source for cardigans of every color at insanely good prices. As with Forever 21, quality issues can be a concern. Don’t expect these to last forever but do have fun buying trendy styles.
Thoughts, comments, opinions on this? Post a comment below and let me know what you think!
10 thoughts on “5 Reasons You Should Own a Cardigan”
I love my little black cardigan!
It adds a nice neutral to all my bright tanks and rock tees at work and makes an easy thing to keep in the car for those chilly nights.
my coworkers always compliment me while I wear it.
ouh ! i love cardigans .
Cardigans are amazing. I love them so. Thyre perfect because AZ is hot!! but my classrooms and inside of buildings are freezing. So cardigans are a cuter solution than hoodies. Hoodies are ok…. but they tend to look not as put together as cardigans and I hate seeing people running around in hoodies with Hollister plastered all over them. Soo mainstream and overdone.
If you’re looking for a perfect white cardigan you can check out old navy. I got a nice white one for ten bucks!
My friends always make fun of me because whenever I go out shopping I manage to find a cardigan I like. Soon I’m going to have one in every single color. I can’t help myself though, they are so cute. I also love throwing them over my dressier tanks.
Cardigans are my fav to…I work in AC the whole day and they are perfect for me…and also easy to carry around. Best for jeans, dresses, work anything you name it you got it. I am still collecting cardigans of every color but they tend to stretch and damage after every wash…how do I protect and take care of them.
BP Nordstrom has basic cardigans in every color of the rainbow for only like 30 bucks a pop! I love them!
couldn’t agree more. cardigans are awesome.
they are so awesome, how about an entire blog dedicated to them??
Risa, you should check out American Apparel’s cardigans.
I love cardigans! They make my outfit look so nice even though I’m only wearing a tank and jeans. Plus, they exude that stylish aura that hoodies can’t give out.
Also, zip up jackets and hoodies are so overrated. Everybody seems to be wearing them. Why not be different?