With weather in the Northeast anything but wintery lately, I’m completely obsessed with cardigans. These lovely little button-down sweaters aren’t just for teachers and preppy girls anymore (though they are a preppy fashion essential) – they are stylish, cute and ultra functional.
It’s so easy to wear a cardigan, and every girl’s wardrobe needs one this season. Here’s why:
- They add color & interest to any outfit. Buy a cardigan in a bright color (we love the red trend for fall) to dress up a basic outfit. A plain black tee looks amazing with a colorful cardigan, jeans and some simple jewelry.
- Dress them up or down. Cardigans are great for throwing on for class and staying warm (they’re a staple of the academia aesthetic for a reason), but are equally awesome to wear at work, to internships, dinner with your boyfriend’s conservative parents, etc.
- You’ll be prepared for any weather. Throw a cardigan in your tote bag to protect from unexpected cold outside or even air conditioning. You’ll look cute and be comfortable no matter what!
- Wear your summer tank tops into fall. All those fabulous summer tank tops you own are good through November with a simple cardigan on top. Hello wardrobe versatility!
- The celebrity style factor. Stars like Jessica Alba, Rachel Bilson and Reese Witherspoon live in their cardigans and pair them with skinny jeans, a scarf, or even a dress and flats.
Where to Buy a Cardigan
Now that you know why you need one, here’s where to buy a cardigan.
Keep in mind that cardigans can wear out fast around the buttons, so it’s worth it to spend more on a high-quality cardigan that will last. Also, if you’re buying an ultra cheap cardigan, we recommend keeping it buttoned as much as possible to avoid showing shoddy button hole work.
- Urban Outfitters carries lots of cute and trendy cardigans in both basic and unique styles. Plus, the prices are good.
- Gap.com is a great source for all things basic, casual and classic at rock-bottom prices. They have a great cardigan selection!
- J.Crew is the classic choice. Their Tippi cardigan, while a little pricey, is the stuff of legend. You’ll have yours FOREVER.
- Nordstrom also stocks high-quality cardigans in tons of prints, lengths, and styles.
- Forever 21 carries some good options; just don’t expect them to last too long and be sure to inspect the button holes to make sure they’re well-made.
- H&M is another great source for cardigans of every color at insanely good prices. As with Forever 21, quality issues can be a concern. Don’t expect these to last forever but do have fun buying trendy styles.
Thoughts, comments, opinions on this? Post a comment below and let me know what you think!