Do you believe in astrology? Chances are, you know your zodiac sign and have read your horoscope at least once in your life. Whether you take it seriously or scoff at the idea, one thing is for certain: astrology allows you to think about your personality on a deeper level. But did you know that astrology can also go beyond personality traits, and likes and dislikes? Some people believe astrology rules how we dress and partially dictates our personal style.
To explore the link between fashion and the stars, this bi-weekly column will break down the style of each astrological sign and include outfits inspired by the zodiac.
For the first installment, we will be looking at air signs (Aquarius, Gemini and Libra). Air signs are good communicators, flexible, and set high standards for themselves– especially style-wise. However, each of these signs has their own unique style, which you can check out below:
Aquarius (January 20- February 18)
Symbol: The Water Bearer
Traits: Eccentric, Independent, Open-Minded
Colors: Violet, Turquoise, Blue
Fashionable Aquarians: Lauren Conrad, Mischa Barton, Alicia Keys
- Aquarians have a unique sense of style that is best described as quirky and fashion-forward.
- They are usually the first to rock a new trend and don’t mind breaking fashion “rules” as long as they stay true to themselves.
- Water bearers love bright colors and try to incorporate them into every outfit– even if it’s just a small pop of color.
Looks for Inspiration
The first outfit captures the quirky and cute style Aquarians are known for. The tank has an adorable zebra graphic which I paired with some basic cuffed shorts. Layer the top under a vest with a trendy crochet detail and add some ever-popular gladiators. Accessorize with some turquoise earrings to add a pop of color and pick up on the blue of the tank top.
For the next look, I was inspired by some recent pics of Aquarian Lauren Conrad, who’s been rocking maxi dresses everywhere recently. This maxi dress is in a trendy tie-dye print and I paired it with some simple sandals in a metallic hue for balance. The necklace with the feather charm continues the laid-back look, while the fringed bag maintains the fashion-forward vibe.
Gemini (May 21- June 20)
Symbol: The Twins
Traits: Witty, Charming, Adventurous
Colors: Orange, Yellow, Magenta
Fashionable Gemini: Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen, Zoe Saldana, Natalie Portman
- Geminis embrace youthful, eclectic and funky styles.
- Like their symbol suggests, Twins have dual personalities when it comes to clothing. Anything goes with them, but they especially love mixing casual basics with bold and one-of-a-kind pieces.
- Girls under this sign like outfits that are playful and flirty yet still look put-together.
Looks for Inspiration
This sign loves to find the balance between casual and playful and the first outfit does just that. This trendy tribal top is bold, but looks great when paired with some basic dark-wash jeans. Geminis rule over the hands and arms, so I added these eclectic stacked bangles. The basic crossover bag is punched up with a fun charm, while these caged wedges are both neutral and youthful.
The second look takes wardrobe staples to a whole new level. The casual top and basic A-line skirt are anything but boring in these bright colors. The jelly flats have the flirty and young look Geminis love, while still maintaining a simple shape. The bag is funky yet structured and the cocktail ring picks up on all the colors in the outfit.
Libra (September 23- October 22)
Symbol: The Scales
Traits: Lovable, Sincere, Generous
Colors: Ivory, Pink, Light Blue
Fashionable Libras: Hilary Duff, Kim Kardashian, Michelle Trachtenberg
- Libras have a feminine, romantic style and a love of all things luxurious.
- They are very fashion-conscious and always try to look their best, but would never be caught dead looking too flashy or gaudy.
- This sign strives to find the perfect balance between casual and glamorous, without breaking the bank.
Looks for Inspiration
Libras are all about soft and romantic pieces like the drapey tunic in the first look. White pants look great with the color of the top and are both elegant and comfortable. Add some natural wedges and a matching textured cork clutch for interest. Finally, accessorize with a owl ring for a hint of whimsy.
The second outfit has a professional yet romantic feel to it. The blouse is made out of a luxurious-looking fabric with feminine detailing and is paired with a classic black pencil skirt. The t-strap heels and ruched satchel add a chic touch. Finish this look with some delicate chandelier earrings with a floral motif.
What’s your sign?
What are your thoughts on astrology? Are you an air sign? If so, does your style resemble your zodiac sign? Would you wear any of these outfits? Do you admire a celeb who shares your zodiac sign? Leave a comment to let us know and be sure to keep an eye out for the next installment!