Though new episodes won’t be on for months, Fox’s hit musical-comedy “Glee” has stolen the hearts of TV fans and critics alike. Following a high school show choir on the pursuit of a national championship, Glee is a can’t-miss guilty pleasure.
Aside from the hilarious story-line and all the drama in the world, Glee’s leading ladies have attracted attention for their cute and unique senses of style. If you want an outline of some of Glee’s most popular fashionistas, this article is for you! Think of it as a fashion cheat-sheet to tide you over until the April 13th season premiere!
Table of Contents
Emma Pillsbury, guidance counselor and Mr. Scheuester’s love interest, is Glee’s resident fashion maven. Her style is totally unique and adorable–the perfect mix of J.Crew prep with a touch of sophisticated vintage flare. Emma’s outfits are ultra ladylike and feminine, with a more mature design and silhouette than her student counterparts.
- Classic preppy/retro look. Emma’s wardrobe staples include work-appropriate pencil skirts, blouses, and cardigans. Though her look is current, it definitely alludes to a more vintage era. Outfits that are all the same color, but with pieces in slightly different shades, are prevalent.
- Cropped styles. Emma wears lots of short cardigans and adorable cropped jackets that are perfectly proportioned for her petite shape.
- Layering. Because she’s a fan of sweater sets, layering is commonplace in many of Emma’s outfits. An easy way to imitate Emma’s layering genius? Try a floaty vest layered over a colorful tee.
- Embellishments. Though individual pieces of Emma’s outfits are classic and simple, they always have unique accents. Her blouses tie with bows, while her ruffled cardigans are pinned together with vintage-inspired sweater clips.
Inspired by Emma
Product Information: H81 Cropped Lace Cardigan, Forever 21. Crosshatch Cotton Pencil Skirt, J.Crew. Nixon Burning Heart Belt, Zappos. 32″ Big Bead Necklace, Girl Props. Xhilaration Stasya Mary Jane Pumps, Target.
Rachel Berry: The little girl with the big voice. Not meant to be a fashionista by any means, the best way to describe Rachel’s style is… eccentric. She looks cute, yes, but as Glee costume designer Lou Eyrich mentioned in an interview about her style, “She makes it her way, which is more quirky. The popular girls find a way to make it look cool, but Rachel makes it look nerdy. She thinks she’s taking a trend and making it cool, but she wears it wrong.”
Regardless of how she rocks the trends, Rachel has some great pieces in her wardrobe!
- Prep-school inspired. Rachel’s style has a definite prepster influence. Her squeaky clean style matches her perfectionist personality. For a youthful look, she’s styled in shorter skirts and select trendy pieces, but the preppy influence is always present.
- Girly staples. Rachel is almost always in a skirt, usually mini a skirt with pleats. If she wears a dress, it’s usually a jumper with a feminine puff-sleeved tee underneath. These silhouettes would look great on a variety of body types, as they skim over curves and accentuate those legs!
- Love for prints. Rachel often wears plaids, herringbone, and other fun patterns on both her tops and bottoms.
- Quirky additions. Ms. Berry has been known to sport argyle sweater vests, tall socks, and sweaters with unicorns/ponies. Because of this, her style often borders quirky-cute and weird. If you want to wear any of these fun pieces, try to keep the rest of your look more simple and classic.
Inspired by Rachel
Quinn Fabray, former Cheerios captain, epitomizes the role of the stereotypical hot popular girl… minus the whole unplanned pregnancy thing. Regardless, when she isn’t in her cheerleading uniform, Quinn too has great personal style. Often seen in feminine basics like dresses and cardigans, Quinn’s look is youthful, girly, and sweet.
- Trendy but feminine. Quinn’s clothes are often on the more expensive side–her closet is filled with ladylike tops and dresses from Anthropologie, Nordstrom, and Bloomingdales. She rocks trends on occasion, but she mostly sticks to her staple high-end pieces.
- Pastel palette. Quinn is into a soft, feminine look. Most of her outfits feature pastel pieces–she rarely wears dark or bold colors. This is also true for her beauty look: Quinn prefers a light, natural touch of makeup.
- Sweet. Though Quinn had a definite snarky side at the beginning of season 1, she and her style evolved (along with that baby bump!) throughout the show. Now, she’ll wear soft colors, floral prints, and feminine embellishments. Quinn also shies away from anything too tight or short, with the exception of her Cheerios uniform, of course!
- Dresses, dresses, dresses! Quinn is 100% girly-girl. She is almost always in a cute sundress. On the rare occasion that she does don pants, they’re ultra-feminine and in a light color, paired with an empire-waist, flirty top.
Inspired by Quinn
What do you think?
Do you watch Glee? Do you have a favorite episode? Who is your favorite character? Most importantly, who has the best style? Tell everyone what you think with your comments!
*All images from GleeImages.com.