JK Rowling changed the world when she wrote the Harry Potter series. Not only did she write seven amazing novels, but she created a new and exciting world for her readers to lose themselves in. And after the responses to our recent posts on Hermione Granger’s style, and Fashion Inspired by Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part I, we know you guys love these books as much as we do!
If you don’t already know the story of Harry Potter, there’s too much to summarize here, so we recommend picking up the books already (you’ll thank us!) or checking out the HP Wikipedia Page for a detailed summary. Suffice to say the books revolve around Harry, an orphan boy who, on his 11th birthday, finds out he is a famous wizard, and is invited to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
Hogwarts is separated into four houses, each named after one of the founders of the school: Hufflepuff, Slytherin, Ravenclaw, and Gryffindor. Once students arrive at Hogwarts for their first year, the magical Sorting Hat is placed upon their head to choose which house they belong in according to their personality.
Each Hogwarts house has a distinct set of characteristics that it values, along with an interesting historical background. This series of articles features fashion inspired by each of the four Hogwarts houses. After the great response to the Hufflepuff, Slytherin and Ravenclaw articles, I’m finishing the series with the ever-popular Gryffindor House.
Gryffindor History and Facts
- Founder - Godric Gryffindor, a red-haired, green-eyed wizard known as the best duelist of his time. He left two relics: the Sorting Hat and the Sword of Gryffindor. The Sorting Hat is a hat that he enchanted to sort students into the Hogwarts Houses after the founders passed away. His goblin-made, ruby-encrusted sword was extremely helpful for Harry and his friends when fighting Voldemort.
- Animal Mascot - Lion
- Colors - Scarlet and Gold
- Head of House - Minerva McGonagall, the Transfiguration Professor.
- Common Room – The Gryffindor Common Room is located on the 7th floor of one of Hogwarts’ towers. After giving the correct password to the portrait of the “Fat Lady”, you enter through a circular hole in the wall. There are big, comfy scarlet chairs, and a large fireplace is the focal point. There are often celebrations in the Gryffindor Common Room, for example, after the team wins a Quidditch match.
Do you have what it takes to be a Gryffindor?
Godric Gryffindor, like Rowena Ravenclaw and Salazar Slytherin, had a strict set of values that he felt were important for students in his house to possess. True Gryffindors are brave, courageous, daring and chivalrous.
Gryffindors have nerve, but are sometimes reckless. Those who don’t like the house (mostly Slytherins) think that Gryffindors are arrogant, but this isn’t always true. Because of their traits, most members of Dumbledore’s Army and the Order of the Phoenix belonged to Gryffindor.
- Albus Dumbledore - one of the greatest Headmasters in Hogwarts’ history, and the only man that Voldemort ever feared
- Minerva McGonagall - the strict but lovable Transfiguration professor, who is also an Animagus who can turn into a cat
- Rubeus Hagrid - before he was expelled for a crime he didn’t commit in his 3rd year, the gamekeeper belonged to Gryffindor
- The Trio – Harry Potter, Ronald Weasley, and Hermione Granger - the main characters of the series
- Lily and James Potter - Harry’s parents
- Molly and Arthur Weasley - Ron’s parents
- Sirius Black – Harry’s Godfather and best friend of James Potter
- Remus Lupin – the werewolf friend of James Potter, who was also a Defense Against the Dark Arts professor in Harry’s 3rd year
- Peter Pettigrew – friend of Harry’s parents who betrayed them to Voldemort
- Neville Longbottom – a very good friend of Harry, Ron and Hermione
- Ginny Weasley - Ron’s little sister and Harry’s love interest
- Fred and George Weasley - Ron’s older twin brothers who bring humor to any situation
- Angelina Johnson, Lee Jordan, Katie Bell, Dean Thomas, Lavender Brown, Parvati Patil, Seamus Finnigan, Colin Creevey, Dennis Creevey, and Nigel Wespurt - Members of Dumbledore’s Army
Quidditch Match Spectator
Gryffindors have a lot of pride in their Quidditch team, so chances are you’ll want to support your team by going to all of their matches. This outfit would be great for that because it has comfortable and flattering high-waisted shorts, a warm turtleneck, and a comfy cardigan in Gryffindor colors. I included a hat as well, since Godric Gryffindor left a hat as his relic.
Mrs. Weasley’s Sweaters
It might be just me, but ever since I started reading the Harry Potter books, I’ve longed for one of Mrs. Weasley’s handmade sweaters. Even though it’s impossible for me to get one, the sweater I chose for this outfit is similar enough to feed my craving. The relaxed fit and unique stripes make it stand out from your typical sweater, and if paired with skinny jeans and a large gold lion necklace, you’re sure to look like a true Gryffindor.
For an occasion that requires a more elegant outfit, I used a gorgeous scarlet dress with a subtle sheen and floral print. Since the Sword of Gryffindor was encrusted with rubies, I made sure to include a ring with a large red gemstone to pay tribute to the important relic.
What do you think?
Are you inspired by Gryffindor and the other Hogwarts houses? Which house do you think you would belong to if you lived in Harry Potter’s world? We want to know what you think, so be sure to leave a comment!