I’ve always coveted the cool boho-style wraparound necklaces that I would see at the cute little boutiques where I could only afford sale items. But as much as I loved these simple but elegant necklaces, I could never bring myself to blow $50+ dollars on them.
So that’s why I decided to just make one on my own for pretty much zero buckaroos using bits from a geode, a bobby pin from my senior prom (I’m a hoarder – and proud), and some string and super glue. Want to know how I did it? Read on!
- A small geode, colorful stone, or any other kind of rock that you think would look cool as jewelry
- Wire cutters or pliers
- A big gold bobby pin or 8 inch gold wire
- 24 inch piece of string
- Superglue or Hot Glue (Superglue is probably better, though!)
1) Take your bobby pin or 8 inch piece of wire and bend the center to create a loop (as seen above), then twist one side of the wire/bobby pin around the other to secure it. If it’s hard to twist the wires, use the wire cutters or some pliers to make it easier.
2) Take your stone and push it against the wire (or bobby pin), and, grabbing one side of the wire/bobby pin, start to wrap the wire/bobby pin around the stone. Make sure the end of the wire/bobby pin stops on the backside of the stone so you can’t see it on the other side. (Use the wire cutters or pliers if it’s hard to twist the wire/bobby pin.)
Repeat this same cycle with the other side of the wire/bobby pin until both sides are wrapped around the stone. Secure both sides with superglue or hot glue. (It works best if you apply the glue to the rock and press the wire down.) Your rock will look something like this after you wrap it:
3) Once you have your rocks wrapped, all that’s left to do is find a string to attach your pendant to. I chose some basic black embroidery thread and made a knot to secure the rock, but you could also wear your rock like a pendant on a silver or gold chain, if you feel like getting fancy. Here’s what my finished product looked like (isn’t it pretty?):
Necklaces aren’t the only thing you can create using these wraparound pendants – you can also make fun stuff like rings, brooches, and bracelets just as easily! Just use more or less wire and string depending on what you’re making, and attach it to whatever other parts you need – it’s a pretty straightforward DIY, and best of all, it’s easy on your pockets!
What do you guys think of my tutorial? Are you going to stopping at Michael’s anytime soon? What kind of stone are you going to use? How are you going to wear your new necklace? Whatever your thoughts, let me know in the comments!