I’ve received lots of emails lately from this year’s incoming freshmen, wanting to know how to decorate a dorm room and where to find cute dorm bedding. I thought I would post on the subject, because it’s so easy to make your dorm room fabulous.
One quick thing to note: College is THE time to go crazy with your room decorations. Once you’re living in the adult world, it will no longer be as acceptable to have a hot-pink bed, purple mini fridge, and strings of Christmas lights hanging everywhere in your apartment. For now, feel free to express your personality in your room – you can go for the “adult” look later!
This will be a multi-part series I’ll be posting over the next few days. Today I’m going to focus on Dorm Room Bedding. There are so many options out there in terms of duvet covers and sheet sets, which I’m going to feature at the end of this post. First, here are a few tips on buying bedding for college:
4 Tips on Buying Bedding for College
- Get extra-long twin sheets. That’s the number one rule for dorm room bedding, which they probably tell you at orientation. Normal twin size sheets won’t fit most dorm beds, so you need to get XL-Twin.
- Don’t get white bedding. In college, your dorm room is where you spend most of your time – whether it’s studying, pre-gaming, hanging out with friends or even eating. Since there isn’t much room for chairs in the typical dorm, your bed is going to be like a couch most of the time. Therefore, if you get white bedding, it will probably be stained/ruined by the end of the semester. Go for darker colors unless you’re very, very neat.
- Buy a few sets of sheets. You aren’t going to feel like doing laundry more often than every two weeks, and if you only have one set of sheets, they’re going to get grungy. Oh, and message to the boys: you need to wash your sheets more than once a year! If you’re lazy, get a few sheet sets and swap them out regularly.
- Buy a mattress pad. Trust me – the mattress your dorm room comes with is going to be hard as a rock! Get a good mattress pad (memory foam is amazing but pricey; egg crate pads are another decent option) and your back will thank you!
Cute Bedding for Your Dorm
Now that the basics are out of the way, on to the fun stuff – picking out cute bedding for your dorm room! There are so many cute options for any budget and personal style. Some of my picks:
Tommy Hilfiger “Denim” Bedding Collection – $34.99-$74.99
DwellStudio for Target “Foliage” – $69.99-$89.99
Pbteen “Favorite Tee” Bedding – $22-$109
Check out the rest of the posts in the College Dorm Room Shopping series to get everything you need for a fabulous dorm:
- College Dorm Room Shopping Part 2: Furnishings
- College Dorm Room Shopping Part 3: Storage
- College Dorm Room Shopping Part 4: Decorations