Mini dresses will always be cool for the summer. But this year, the hottest hemlines are hitting below the knee, above the ankle. After years of short dresses being cool, midi dresses feel fresh and like a major fashion statement, even if the outfit itself is simple.
Midi dresses are also super fun to wear, because they're so classic, girly, and flirty. And they're not hard to style -- wear yours with the same sandals or heeled booties you'd choose with your old favorite summer mini.
Trust me -- midis are the best and most versatile trend of the summer (they can be worn when it gets chilly, too). Here are 10 adorable picks to rock all season long:
1. This pretty midi would be an unexpected choice for a night out. The classic print, longer hemline, and girly shape will stand out from the crowd, but the low neckline and cutouts keep it. Pair it with neutral wedges and some sparkly jewels, and maybe a cropped jean jacket in case it gets chilly.
2. Sheer. Pastel. Gingham. What dreams are made of, IMHO. This dress (which also comes in an equally fabulous lavender shade) is perfect for day or night, and will bring a major smile to your face whenever and wherever you wear it.
3. The tropical print on this midi is really trendy, but it's the sweetheart neckline with scalloped trim that really makes me swoon. I'd love to see this baby paired with your brightest shoes, bags, and jewelry -- there are so many different colors in the print, so you can (and should) have lots of fun with accessories.
4. This t-shirt dress is so comfy and easy. The belt and floral print make it classically cute, but the longer length makes it an unexpected take on the typical casual floral dress. Wear it on all your summer days out with cute necklaces (from statement collars to longer pendants) and cute flats or gladiator sandals.
5. This striped midi is as soft and stretchy as your favorite tee, but cool details like side slits and a thick tie belt give it lots of style. It's perfect for a chill summer party, especially with embellished black slides. (Like maybe these?)
6. After a long day of looking cute in #4 or #5, keep the midi style going at night with this fun party dress! The oversize polka dots, girly tulle, and swishy skirt make this dress look like it'd be a total blast to wear. It's such a statement-maker that all you really need to add are some big, sparkly studs and bright pumps.
7. Though all the midis I've featured so far have had classic, A-line cuts, that doesn't mean that the trend can't translate to ladies who prefer more curve-hugging silhouettes. Everything about this ASOS body-con number is fashion-forward, from the length to the cutouts to the print to the stretchy scuba fabric. It will totally steal the show on your next GNO, especially with strappy black heels and a firey red lip.
8. This boho number looks so, so comfy, and I love all the bold colors in the print. The cutout in the front and the super-strappy back make it young and fun. I could see this working for every day with bright sandals or for the beach over your swimsuit. Oh, and a dress this cute by designer Nanette Lepore for just $75? Thank you, Nordstrom Rack.
9. This casual midi can be styled so many ways. Make it girly with flats and pearls, or grungy with ankle booties and a pleather jacket. Since it has buttons from top to bottom, you can play with how low the neckline is and how high the front slit is, creating endless options for layering. I dare you to try it over ripped black skinnies.
10. Finally, the checks on this midi are so classic and sweet. It's perfect for a summer BBQ, but will still be totally cute in the fall paired with a cozy cream cardi and brown boots to play up the country-chic vibe.
What do you think?
Are you into the midi dress trend? Would you wear any of these dresses? Which is your fave? Let me know in the comments!