Although back-to-school season isn’t exactly thrilling (though I must admit–I’d trade Mom’s home cooked spaghetti with garlic bread for a late night cafe nosh session with my faves without a doubt right now!) — it does mean one awesome thing: back-to-school shopping.
Flipping through the pages of a new notebook–that smell!–is like an aphrodisiac. And buying a brand new tote for hauling my massive textbooks across campus? Heaven.
So, since I know I’m not the only lady out there who loves stocking up on back-to-school accessories, I put together a list of green back to school accessories, from beauty products to bracelets, that won’t burn through the other kind of green (aka, your hard earned summer cash).
Other Ways to Make Back-to-School More Eco-Friendly:
In Your Closet:
- Host or attend a clothing swap.
- Scour vintage shops before heading back to campus (& again when you get there!)
- Share closets with your friends! When you’re surrounded by all your old bffs (or potential new ones!), borrow a cute shirt before you commit to buying it! Just make sure to take good care of it so they’ll let you borrow again.
In the Dorm:
- Use fair trade kitchen utensils.
- Look for organic cotton to use as window treatments.
- Buy organic cotton sheets & pillows/pillowcases.
- Skip the disposable cups & glasses.
- Use your printer sparingly.
In the Classroom:
- Fill a reusable binder with loose leaf notebook paper instead of buying non-reusable notebooks.
- Buy used textbooks. (Or better yet, try renting them!)
What are your thoughts?
Is eco-friendly fashion important to you? What’s your favorite eco-chic accessory? Are there any other methods you’re using to make your back-to-school experience better for the environment? Any tips for other fashion addicts trying to be eco-friendly? Click below & leave me a comment with your opinion!