NOTE: We are no longer accepting applications for Summer/Fall 2018. If you would like to write for College Fashion for Spring 2019, we will begin accepting applications again on October 1st, 2018.
Are you a college student obsessed with fashion? Love to write? Want to have your writing read by millions of college students? Looking for fun work experience doing something you love?
If so, College Fashion is currently accepting applications for Summer/Fall 2018 (July through December).
Responsibilities include writing, researching, editing photos, creating outfit layouts, and keeping up with the latest trends. Writers will be expected to contribute 1-2 blog posts a week and will be able to choose their own topics and set their own hours.
Writers should be able to start on or around July 1st, 2018 and continue until December 31st, 2018 (end date can be flexible).
What we're looking for:
The ideal candidate would be enrolled in college as of Fall 2018 (recent grads will also be considered), passionate about all things fashion, responsible, hard working, self-motivated, creative, and organized.
Preference will be given to candidates with prior blogging experience, fashion-related or not. Applicants should have a strong command of the English language and should be able to handle writing on a deadline. Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and/or Polyvore is a big plus.
Why Write for CF?
This is an excellent opportunity if you’re interested in fashion or journalism and want to expand your writing portfolio and get your name out there. CF writers will walk away with fashion and media industry experience, improved web writing skills, and possibly even a job.
Writing for College Fashion will give you real-life fashion and media experience and will be an impressive reference on any resume. Past CF writers have gone on to positions at Vogue, ELLE Magazine, Women's Wear Daily, VH1, Town & Country Magazine, and Adidas, to name a few, as well as numerous fashion and beauty PR firms.
Perks of being a CF writer include having a fun job, networking within the industry, attending fashion-related events in your area when available, testing out new products when available, and possibly the occasional celebrity interview. Also, since this is an online position, you’ll be able to work from any location and choose your own hours.
College credit is available and recommended, and outstanding writers may be offered continuing paid positions at the end of the semester.
After writing for College Fashion, I know things about writing and fashion that would have taken a lot more time and effort to learn by myself. If you are a college student with aspirations in the fashion industry, consider applying to write for College Fashion. - Mya, former CF writer
How to Apply:
We will be accepting applications from March 30th until May 6th, 2018. Applicants that have been selected for a position will be notified on or around May 14th.
If you’re interested in writing for College Fashion, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with Fall 2018 Writing Application as the subject. Include the following:
- Samples of your writing (include your blog URL if you have one - doesn't have to be fashion-related, we just want to know you're tech-savvy and can write) – the more relevant the better! If you don’t have experience writing fashion or blog-style articles, write up a sample CF article to show you can handle it. Bonus points if you include pictures and/or CF-style outfit sets (we give preference to applicants who understand what looks good on a page).
- A list of topics you’d like to blog about – be specific. If you get the position, what are some articles you'd like to write for CF? If you could have a weekly column here, what would it cover? What topics are you most passionate and knowledgeable about? (Do you love music or cinema? Are you a makeup maven? A DIY expert? A nail polish addict? Anything goes - we want to know who you are and what you could bring to the site!) We are looking for writers with lots of fresh ideas, so the more creative and unique, the better. (Note: If your post ideas center around "outfit" sets, make sure to include outfit sets in your application to show your skills. We recommend Canva for making these collages.)
- Your top 5 favorite fashion trends right now
- Where you go to school and your class year
- Tell us whether or not you have experience with Photoshop or other graphic editing programs
- Information on any other relevant experience that qualifies you for this opportunity
Basically, we want to know why you’re perfect for the position. Standard resumes and cover letters are boring, so the more personal and creative your application, the better. Can’t wait to hear from you!