Miley Cyrus, Victoria Beckham, and Kate Moss wearing winter white
I’m not sure who came up with the outdated fashion “rule” that warns us not to wear white between Labor Day and Memorial Day, but let’s just say I’d rather not take their advice — white is one of my favorite colors to wear, especially on the coldest days of the year. The crisp look of white in dreary winter is unexpected, bold, and ultra feminine.
If you’re looking for a way to stand out in a dreary crowd of black, brown, and navy blue, this week’s challenge is for you — try an outfit that incorporates winter white!
With only a few weeks left of winter and springtime on everyone’s mind, this week is the perfect time to work a few white pieces into an outfit. Before you change, whip out the camera and take a few snapshots and send them in — we could feature YOU here on our website to inspire other readers!
Excited to take on this week’s challenge? Read on for tricks on how to rock white clothes in the wintertime!
Tips and Tricks for Rocking Winter White
- Off-white, ivory, and cream tones are easier to pull off during cold months than pure white is. Look for whites with beige tints subtly mixed in.
- Fabric is really important to consider when wearing winter white. White knits, corduroys, leathers, thick cottons and heavy laces will all look great in the winter. Light materials such as linen and sheer fabrics look more summery, and will therefore be harder to pull off.
- Toughen up a white outfit with boots, a knit hat, and a scarf. They’ll give your outfit an extra boost of winter style.
- Although white pants can be worn in winter, this challenge will be easiest to rock with a top or a dress.
- White coats look super chic and are a celeb favorite. (Just look at the photo above!) Seek out pea coats, trenches, and military-style coats in white for a fresh look.
- (Faux) fur is a great way to rock this look as well. Fur is clearly a winter-appropriate material, and will give any outfit a luxurious feel.
The great thing about a white coat is that it will literally go with any top or accessory you have in your closet! I especially love this military-inspired trench. Keep it simple with a pair of black skinnies, brown ankle boots, and chic driving gloves.
A white dress is unexpected, and will certainly make you stand out in a crowd during a night out on the town. Find one with long sleeves, like this one, to keep your look winter-appropriate. Pull on charcoal gray tights to keep you warm and a sexy pair of ankle boots for some height and a pop of muted color. Finish with a knitted flower beanie.
Everyone should (and probably already does) own a basic cable knit sweater. I like this particular one because of its extra long torso and sleeves. Pair it with some skinny jeans and tough-looking combat boots to make the outfit look a bit edgy. Finish with a simple necklace.
Rocked the Challenge? Send us your Picture!
Did you wear winter white this week? Before you change clothes, take a couple snapshots and send them to fashionchallenge AT collegefashion.net along with your name, school, a description of what you’re wearing, and the URL of your blog if you have one. We’ll feature your photos here to help inspire other CF readers!
We can make you a celebrity overnight. 🙂
What Do You Think?
Do you ever wear winter white? Is it too close to springtime to try this challenge out? What rules do you follow to keep winter white look fresh and not out of place? What challenges would you like to see in the future? Let us know with a comment!