One of my favorite things about summertime is the abundance of bright colors, especially in everyone's wardrobe! Tie dye is one of my favorite patterns -- it's less common than stripes or floral prints, but unique enough to stand out in a crowd. It has a laid-back vibe to it that makes it perfect for a day at the beach, running errands, or even on a fun date.
Want to rock tie dye but need a little inspiration? Read on!
Tips and Tricks for Rocking Tie Dye
- Since it's summer and you probably have a little free time, why not indulge in a little DIY project? Pick up a pack of Hanes white v-necks and get to work, or spruce up a white sorority or club t-shirt.
- I know I'm preaching to the choir, but to keep from looking like a flower child, don't pair tie-dyed tees or dresses with anything too hippie-esque. Tie dye paired with John Lennon sunglasses, crocheted vests, or hippie headbands could give off an overly costume-y effect.
- Tie-dyed tees don't have to be a rainbow of colors -- my favorite kinds of tie dye are shades of one color, giving the piece an acid wash feel.
- Try pairing a tie dyed shirt with a contrasting piece. A boho-chic top would look cool with a preppy pair of khaki shorts, or a girly floral-print mini skirt.
- Look for items that aren't usually tie dyed, like skirts, headbands, or even canvas shoes!
- Tie dye print is about feeling free and fun! Don't get too caught up in fashion rules; feel free to experiment.
A breezy tie dye dress like this one is a great starting point for an outfit. Up the style factor with a brown waist belt, summery espadrilles, and a chic headband. This outfit is perfect for a picnic with the family, a date with a summer fling, or a night out with your college girlfriends!
Took the Challenge? Send Us Proof!
Did you wear tie dye this week? Send us some snapshots and we'll feature them here (and in return, link to your blog so you'll get a little extra traffic!) Attach your photos along with your name, school, blog URL if you have one, and a few styling tips to fashionchallenge AT collegefashion.net.
Can't wait to see what you girls send us!
How do you feel about tie dye? Do you wear it year round, or just whip it out in the summer? How do you like to style it? Let us know what you think by leaving us a comment!