It happens around this time every year: The mid-terms are piling up, the late nights are catching up with you, and your coffee addiction is at an all-time high. It's the middle of the semester and your stress level is through the roof. With all of this going on, it can be easy to forget to take care of yourself!
But just taking an extra few minutes in the morning and putting together a stylish and comfortable outfit can change the way you feel all day. When you feel good about yourself, that confidence will spill over into everything else you are taking on.
So, to help you out, I've included some easy ways to pull yourself out of this mid-semester style slump, and finish the semester looking and feeling great!
1. Mix it up.
The quickest and easiest way to get out of a fashion slump is to mix up your outfits. Sure, that same old top and pair of jeans combo may look great, but wearing the same thing day in and day out can get a little boring. So recruit a friend or roommate to help you look at the items you already own, and then brainstorm ways to change things up. You won't have to spend any money, but you'll have tons of outfits that feel brand new because they've never been worn together before.
2. Pick out a "safety-outfit."
You were up until 4am studying and somehow forgot to set your alarm. You have 15 minutes before you have to be at your 8am and you JUST rolled out of bed. At times like this, putting together a stylish outfit is the last thing on your mind, but you shouldn't just grab sweats and run out the door! You'll feel frazzled and less confident all day.
Instead, pick out a seasonally appropriate "safety" outfit and memorize it. Keep it simple not too specific. An example of my "safety outfit" is above. No matter how long it's been since I've done laundry, I'll always have a pair of skinny jeans and a white tee shirt clean. I pair them with my favorite colored flats to add some pop. If it's cool out, I know I can throw on any jacket and it will match!
3. Reorganize your closet and drawers.
Even if you aren't a organization freak like me, you can't argue that having your room organized doesn't make your life feel a little more organized. Take some time to do all your laundry and then move your closet and drawers around. This will give you a chance to really dig into the back and see what pieces have been hiding. Here are a few ideas of how you can switch things up:
- Put your fall clothes front and center.
- Instead of organizing your clothes by color, organize them by style (or vice versa).
- Switch up the flow of your drawers. (Tees on top? Move 'em to the bottom.)
- Put pieces you haven't worn in a while where they are easily visible.
4. Invest in some time-saving beauty products.
Sleep is a luxury at this point in the semester, and if you're like me, you'll chose 20 extra minutes over a shower any day! Of course there's no shame in that, but if you stock up on a few key beauty products, no one will be able to notice!
- Dry Shampoo is a MUST for on-the-go days. It absorbs oil, and gives your hair great volume and texture. This one by TIGI even smells great.
- Eye cream is another must-have. My favorite is this one by Clinique. Rub it on your puffy, sleep-deprived eyes and you'll look like you got your full 8 hours!
- A shimmer stick, like the one above from NARS, can serve as blush, highlighter, eye shadow, and even lipgloss - talk about products that do double duty!
- Body spray is a great alternative to perfume when you just need to "freshen up," and the plastic packaging makes it much more portable than usually-delicate perfume bottles.
- Finally, a neutral shade of nail polish will let you stretch you manicure for several extra days because chips will be less noticeable!
So what do you think? Are you feeling the mid-semester slump? How do you combat it? Let me know in a comment below!