If you're anything like me, you dread coming up with Halloween ideas each year. Most of the time, everyone (especially in college) ends up wearing the same outfits, and unless you have a lot of money to spend, you'll probably end up with the same costume as someone else at any given party.
So to prevent that from happening, I've tracked down some creative and easy to make costume ideas that will hopefully give you a little bit of inspiration for your Halloween get-togethers in a couple weeks!
If you're a girl born in America, chances are that you grew up with at least a few Barbie dolls lying around your house. And even if you aren't blond, dressing up as Barbie is an easy costume that everyone will love. There are a lot of ways to play around with this idea (think Career Barbie, Beach Barbie, etc.) but the easiest way is just to pile on all things pink!
If you're a go-big-or-go-home type of girl, add a blond wig or recruit one of your guy friends (or boyfriend) to be your Ken! If you're going out with your girlfriends, you can each be a different Barbie personality - and you'll be sure to turn heads at any party you go to.
The Orbit Girl
Have a white dress? Here's an easy costume! We've all seen the Orbit Gum commercials, and although their spokesmodel has a few different looks, each one revolves around the same ultra-preppy theme.
For this costume you can pretty much wear any white pieces in your closet - accessories are what really make the look. The Orbit girl's go-to colors are teal and pink - usually in the form of a scarf, belt, thick headband or combination of the three. A budget-friendly way to achieve the look is to buy a roll of thick ribbon at a craft store - it can be used for a belt and a headband! Next, just wing out your hair with a curling iron and you're good to go.
The finishing touch? A pack of Orbit!
Granted, Avatar wasn't around last Halloween so this may turn out to be the "it" costume this year. But being on a college budget, we can't all go out and spend fifty dollars on an Avatar bodysuit costume. Luckily, with a couple blue pieces and some body paint, you can create your very own Navi look.
This costume gives you a lot of room for creativity. Paint as much or as little as you want on your body - silver, gold and blue paint will all look great. Add small braids in your hair and natural looking accessories and you're all set!
Product Information: Knot Bracelet - Charlotte Russe, Dress - American Apparel, Cuff - Forever 21, Double Wrap Bracelet - Wet Seal, Leggings - American Apparel, Flats - dElias, Navi Makeup Kit - Amazon
And a Few More Ideas..
- Flo the Progressive Girl - Along the lines of the Orbit costume; white pants, polo and an "I Heart Progressive" pin. To complete the look just add a purple headband!
- Survivor/Amazing Race Contestant - Sneakers, backpack and a little (fake) dirt on your face and you're good to go.
- Bag Lady - Use trash bags and tape them into a dress - extra points if your carry around shopping bags too!
- Ocean/Aquarium - Wear all blue (like the Avatar outfit above!) and print out photos of fish, sharks, etc. from the internet. Then just cut and tape them all over your body, pretty effortless.
- Crayola Crayon - This is a really good group costume too. Wear all one color (up to you which one) and use a black marker to write a crayon color name down one side of your body. Get creative with your own color names!
What do you think?
Hopefully these ideas have given you a little bit of inspiration for your own Halloween costume this year, but we want to hear from you! What do you think of these ideas? Already have a costume? What's the best Halloween costume you've seen? Be sure to leave a comment!