Follow College Fashion on Twitter!

Would You Wear… a Ladylike Leather Dress?

13 Comments

Leather dress trend
Photo Credits (L-R): Adrienne Bailon via Pacific Coast News, Jason Wu Spring 2013 via ELLE, and ASOS dress

When you think of leather or pleather, you likely think of bikers, rockstars, and tough-looking jackets. The latest way to wear this sleek material, however, is not quite so edgy. Leather dresses with ladylike touches are starting to show up everywhere for Spring 2013.

This season’s leather dresses aren’t the sleek shifts of past seasons: fit-and-flare silhouettes, dainty belts, and flirty lace detailing combine to make Spring 2013 leather dresses more girly than grungy. Personally, though this trend appeared on the Spring runways, we can’t get enough of this cute style for cold weather! Warm, versatile AND adorable… what’s not to love?

Try a leather dress for a formal party…

Leather dress outfit
Product Information: Dress – C&C California, Shoes – Charlotte Russe, Clutch – Miss Selfridge, Belt – Miss Selfridge, Bracelet – Juicy Couture, Earrings – Kate Spade

Would you wear a ladylike leather dress?

Do you like this look? Do you enjoy this girly take on a tough fabric, or do you prefer your leather pieces on the edgier side? Which style above is your favorite? Leave a comment below and let’s discuss!

Posted on on January 22, 2013 / Filed Under: Would You Wear? / Tags: , , , , , ,

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

13 Responses to “Would You Wear… a Ladylike Leather Dress?”

  1. 1
    January 22nd, 2013 at 1:44 pm

    wow, i’m a convert!
    the dress picked for the outfit is really nice :)
    I don’t think it would complement my body type though!
    Too bad, it’s very lovely :) I love how it’s tough but girly at the same time!

  2. 2
    January 22nd, 2013 at 2:28 pm

    I have a dress with a leather top and the skirt part is a lining and a sheer flowy layer over it, all in black. it’s really nice and fun to style!

  3. 3
    January 22nd, 2013 at 3:23 pm

    Is there one I can find under 50 dollars? :( I think the idea is awesome!

  4. 4
    January 22nd, 2013 at 4:31 pm

    Ehh, I think I’ll just stick with (faux) leather jackets and bags. Great idea, though!

  5. 5
    January 22nd, 2013 at 5:39 pm

    Leather is DISGUSTING. Let animals keep their skin!!!!!

  6. 6
    January 22nd, 2013 at 9:26 pm

    Kelsey – collegefashion does an insane job providing vegan-friendly alternatives 90% of the time. No reason to get angsty about the other 10%.

    Personally, I’m not a fan of this trend. It doesn’t seem like it would be terribly comfortable.

  7. 7
    January 23rd, 2013 at 2:49 am

    I would totally try this <3

  8. 8
    January 23rd, 2013 at 3:12 am

    Er.. the right picture doesn’t link to the right dress

  9. 9
    January 23rd, 2013 at 3:13 am

    and I agree with it if it’s only faux

  10. 10
    January 23rd, 2013 at 10:31 am

    I’m in love with this trend, own a few myself (faux of course)! ?

  11. 11
    January 23rd, 2013 at 11:05 am

    Stephanie – Thanks for pointing that out! Fixed the link!

  12. 12
    January 23rd, 2013 at 11:10 am

    Kelsey – Honestly, I agree with you – as a vegetarian and animal lover, I stay away from leather whenever I can. The two dresses linked in the post are actually faux leather, although I can see how the wording of the post looks like it’s promoting the real thing.

    BS – Thank you so much for commenting! It’s nice to know that someone noticed the effort we put in to find fake leather items whenever possible. Faux leather is animal-friendly and wallet-friendly – what’s not to love?

  13. 13
    February 4th, 2013 at 7:41 pm

    I love this idea:D I prefer leather mini dresses because they’re sexy, although I’d say leather isn’t really designed for dresses but for other clothing.

Leave a Reply

Line

* Comment Rules: CF is a positive place and our comments section is no different. Constructive criticism is fine, but if you're rude, we'll delete your comment. Please use your PERSONAL name or initials and not your business name and do not put your website in the comment text, as both come off like spam. For more info, see our Comment Policy. Have fun & thanks for adding to the conversation!

Line




* Want a custom avatar to show up next to your comments? Sign up for a free Gravatar.