Alexander Wang, BCBG, 3.1 Phillip Lim and Bill Blass Spring 2012 RTW | ELLE
Thanks to numerous designers’ Spring 2012 collections (and perhaps the upcoming Olympic games) items like sweatshirts, crop tops, track pants, sneaker wedges and mesh have become major trends this season. However, we aren’t talking your run-of-the-mill gym clothes here — instead luxe, amped-up sportswear featuring clean lines and chic detailing is all the rage.
Interesting in learning more? Scroll on down to read or best advice for trying this trend as well as some stylish and college-appropriate outfit ideas:
5 Tips and Tricks for Rocking the Sportswear Trend
- If you’re wary of testing out this trend, always start small. Try wearing a racerback tank or a pair of cute sneakers (like Converse or Ked’s), both of which offer a sporty vibe without looking too over-the-top or trendy. Feeling more adventurous? Don’t be afraid try out bold sportswear trends like dressed-up track pants or a mesh jacket à la Alexander Wang.
- That being said, it’s best to stick with one or two sportswear-inspired pieces per outfit to avoid that “going to the gym” look.
- They key to wearing this trend and making it your own is to incorporate the sportswear with other items that reflect your personal style. Have a girly aesthetic? Add a flouncy skirt. More of an edgy dresser? Accessorize with something spiked or studded. Prefer classic pieces? Throw on a blazer. The possibilities are endless!
- To keep your sportswear looking chic, always look for pieces that are tailored and fitted, because anything too baggy or ill-fitted can give off a sloppy vibe.
- Be sure to infuse some color into your sporty look! Adding a pop of neon or a pretty pastel hue to your ensemble is a surefire way to create a modern and on-trend look.
Get the Look
Ready to add some sporty, yet chic style to your wardrobe? Check out these spring-appropriate outfits for inspiration:
The lilac-colored trousers in this first outfit have elastic ankle cuffs, which give the illusion of sweatpants, but in a much more tailored and stylish way. Pair the trousers with a basic striped tank top and add polish with a crisp white blazer. Simple sandals keep the look casual, while spiked statement earrings add some edge. For the finishing touch, accessorize with a perforated leather bag, which gives off a sleek and sporty vibe.
Almost everyone owns a basic lightweight sweatshirt, but have you ever considered styling it to make a fashion-forward look? For example, try pairing a gray sweatshirt with a pleated coral skirt. Add a classic striped tote and some clean cut slip-on sneakers. Finally, a sparkly statement necklace adds a glam touch, while a bold digital watch continues the sporty vibe.
Racerback tops and dresses are classic sportswear-inspired pieces and this electric blue bandage dress is no exception. Pair the dress with some adorable platform sandals that incorporate a sporty mesh fabric. Accessorize with a quirky-cute clutch and a trio of gold bangles for a stylish and warm weather-appropriate going out look.
The final look is centered around spring’s hottest (and sportiest) jacket: an anorak. Pair this color-blocked anorak with a feminine white top and gray cuffed shorts for a casual vibe. Colorful boat shoes pick up on the pink hue found on the jacket, while delicate earrings and stacked rings add the finishing touch. Since anoraks are waterproof and have hoods, this is the perfect outfit for a rainy spring day.
What do you think of this trend? Would you wear any of these outfits? Which piece is your favorite? How would you wear the sportswear trend for spring? Be sure to leave a comment below and let us know what you think!